Our interview process
We review applications to screen for skills, experience, and values. For some roles we’ll email additional questions or ask candidates to perform an exercise related to the role.
For some roles, if your initial application stands out, we’ll ask you some additional questions via email to help us narrow down our candidate pool.
A recruiter will meet with you via Zoom video to speak to you about TaxJar, the role, your skills and experience and to answer any questions you may have.
For certain roles, such as customer support, filing, or engineering positions, we’ll ask you to perform an exercise so that we may assess your skills. For engineering roles this will involve a code test.
Hiring manager/team interviews
Your potential team leader, and possibly other team members, will meet with you to learn more about you and to answer any questions specific to the team you're applying to join.
You’ll meet with a member of senior or executive leadership to talk about the culture at TaxJar and for them to learn about which values appeal to you the most.
After a successful shared values interview, we invite you to our mutual assessment. Check out our blog to learn more about why we offer this assessment to all candidates before extending a full-time offer of employment.
After a successful mutual assessment, we make an offer for full-time employment. Our perks and benefits are applied on day 1 of full time employment.
* The interview process may be delayed during any of these stages due to various reasons. We’ll always reach out to you in these circumstances to keep you updated on the process.
How long does your recruitment process typically take?
For candidates who make it through our entire process, it takes approximately 4-6 weeks from the initial application, depending on the role. If we decide that we’re not moving forward with your candidacy at any stage, we’ll aim to let you know within a week. 4-6 weeks may seem like a long time; this is because:
- We receive 300-400 applications each week
- Many TaxJar employees are involved in the hiring process
- We want to ensure we find the right candidate for the role
- We want to make sure your values align with those of TaxJar
- We request background checks and personal references for all candidates who are offered a mutual assessment, which takes 2-7 days to clear
What countries do you accept applicants from?
We are currently only in a position to hire US-based employees. We'd love to expand internationally at some point, but we're simply not there yet.
Tips for a successful interview
- TaxJar uses Zoom and Basecamp for daily communications. We interview all candidates via Zoom, so please make sure to have Zoom installed and set up prior to your interview (don’t worry, there’s a free version). We recommend that you test Zoom once it’s installed.
- We expect candidates to turn their video on during the interview, so please let us know if you’re unable to do so.
- Please be on time for your interview and make sure you’re in a quiet space with no potential distractions.
- Please do your research about the role you’re applying for as well as TaxJar as a product and a company. We have many, many resources available to help you learn about our product and culture.
- For certain roles, we ask candidates to complete technical exercises in Basecamp. There’s no need to sign up for an account, as we’ll send you an invite to join a project. But please familiarize yourself with Basecamp if you begin our interview process.
- We receive 300-400 applications each week, so we’re only able to advance the most qualified candidates into the pipeline for further interviews.
- If you reached out to us on LinkedIn, our support email or another channel — thank you! We're thrilled that you are so excited. Please note, due to our volume, we’re only able to continue the conversation via our standard recruiting process as listed above.