Last updated: January 7, 2022
1. What is a Cookie?
Cookies are small text files that are stored in a computer’s browser directory. They help site providers with things like understanding how people use a site, remembering a user’s login details, and storing site preferences. This generally improves Your experience when You use our Services and also allows us to improve the functionality of our Services.
- Ensure that our Services function properly,
- Detect and prevent fraud,
- Understand how visitors use and engage with our website, and
- Analyze and improve our Services.
3. Who sets Cookies when I use TaxJar’s website?
There are two main types of Cookies that can be set:
- First party Cookies. These Cookies are placed and read by TaxJar directly when You use our Services,
- Third party Cookies. These Cookies are not set by TaxJar, but by other companies, like Google or Facebook, for advertising purposes. See further details below on how to manage these Cookies.
Cookies play an important role in helping us provide effective and safe Services. Below is a description of the commonly used Cookie types and the purposes that apply to them.
Some Cookies are strictly necessary to make our Services available to You and to make it usable and secure by enabling basic functions like page navigation and access to secure areas of the website. We cannot provide You with our Services without this type of Cookie. We use those Cookies in a number of different ways, including:
- Authentication. To remember Your login state so You don’t have to log in as You navigate through our website and its features.
- Security. To protect user data from unauthorized access.
- Functionality. To keep our Services working correctly, like showing You the right information in the application.
Analytics & Preference Cookies
Analytics Cookies help us understand how visitors interact with our Services. We use those Cookies in a number of different ways, including:
- Preferences. To remember how You prefer to use our Services so that You don’t have to reconfigure Your settings each time You log into Your account.
Analytics. To make our Services work better for You. Cookies help us understand how people reach our website. They give us insights into improvements or enhancements we need to make to our Services. Pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) may be used in connection with some Services to, among other things, track the actions of users (such as email recipients), measure the success of our marketing campaigns and compile statistics about usage of the Services and response rates. We may use our own analytics Cookies or those provided by third parties to collect and analyze information about the use of the Services and report on activities and trends. These third parties may also collect information regarding Your use of other sites, apps and online resources.
5. Can I opt-out?
Yes. With the exception of those Cookies that are necessary to provide You with our Services, You can opt out of Cookies through our modal popup which appears in the bottom left corner of Your browser window when You visit https://www.taxjar.com or by clicking on the “Cookie Settings” link located in the footer of our website,. To set Your preferences, click on the Cookie Preferences link in the modal popup.
- Chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?hl=en
- Explorer: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17442/windows-internet-explorer-delete-manage-cookies
- Safari: https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/manage-cookies-and-website-data-sfri11471/mac
- Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/cookies-information-websites-store-on-your-computer
- Opera: https://help.opera.com/en/latest/web-preferences/#cookies
Our advertising partners may participate in associations that provide simple ways to opt out of ad targeting, which You can access at:
- United States: NAI (http://optout.networkadvertising.org) and DAA (http://optout.aboutads.info/)
- Canada: Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada (https://youradchoices.ca/)
- Europe: European Digital Advertising Alliance (http://www.youronlinechoices.com/)
You can access any settings offered by Your mobile operating system to limit ad tracking, or You can install the AppChoices mobile app to learn more about how You may opt out of personalized ads in mobile apps.