Purpose and Introdution
- Explains the types of Personal Information we may collect from and about you, as well as how we may disclose, use and protect that information.
- Applies to information we collect about visitors to the TaxJar website (the “Site”) and users of TaxJar’s [state sales tax preparation and submission services] (the “Services”).
- Applies to current and former customers of TaxJar as well as to those visitors to the TaxJar website who do not become customers of TaxJar.
- It does not apply to the practices of third parties that TaxJar does not own or control, or to individuals that TaxJar does not employ or manage.
The following sections outline the types of Personal Information TaxJar handles on your behalf and what our practices are for ensuring the protection and privacy of that Personal Information. The completeness and accuracy of the data you provide to TaxJar is initially your responsibility.
Types of Personal Information Collected
Personal Information that you provide through the Services: When you visit the Site or use the Services, we may collect Personal Information about you when you voluntarily provide such information, including from the following categories and sources:
- Information we receive when you create an account or request services or information from us or companies with whom we have business relationships, or when you complete surveys or polls, such as your name, address, e-mail address and payment or billing information.
- Information to prepare your sales tax return.
- Information we collect via APIs which include your transaction history.
- Information we receive when providing technical or customer support for you.
- Information we receive when you apply for job openings.
Sales Tax Information
In order to prepare your relevant sales tax return documentation and history, we collect information about you, such as:
- Tax Identification Number
- Business Information, as well as your online transaction history and sales taxes collected
- Total previous tax payments
- Other relevant information needed to process your returns
Information You Provide to Us When Applying for Job Openings
When you apply for a current opening, you may choose to provide us with certain categories of Personal Information like your name, e-mail address, phone number, address, nationality, and details over your employment experience, skills, affiliations, and education and professional certifications. We will use this Personal Information to assess your candidacy for a position. Resumes and other documentation provided to us may be shared with and reviewed by our Human Resources staff and hiring managers in the United States using secure, cloud-based solutions.
Personal Information We Receive Automatically
When you interact with TaxJar through the Site or Services, we receive and store certain information, which is collected passively using various technologies, and cannot presently be used to specifically identify you.
TaxJar may store this information itself or such information may be included in databases owned and maintained by TaxJar affiliates, agents or service providers. The Services may use such information and pool it with other information to track, for example, the total number of visitors to our Site, the number of visitors to each page of our Site, and the domain names of our visitors’ Internet service providers. It is important to note that no Personal Information is available or used in this process.
We may also collect information through the use of a software technology called “cookies.” Internet cookies allow us to customize our website for you by placing small files on your computer as you visit various components of the Site.
You can choose to decline cookies while at our website, however, this may limit your ability to access certain areas of the website. Most browsers accept and maintain cookies by default.
We also may employ a software technology called beacons or tracking pixels that help us better manage content on our site by informing us what content is effective and which pages visitors view. These pixels are a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, and are used to track the online movements of Web users. Like cookies, these pixels are not tied to users’ personally identifiable information.
Like most standard website servers, we use log files. Information collected in log files may include internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, platform type, date/time stamp, and number of clicks. We utilize this information to analyze trends, administer the site, track user’s movement in the aggregate, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use.
Advertising networks that serve ads on our website may assign a different cookie to you. These cookies may be used to select which ads you see and determine the effectiveness of this advertising. You may choose to decline cookies from third-party ad servers, which TaxJar does not control, without prejudice to your ability to use the Site or Services.
Aggregated Personal Information
In an ongoing effort to better understand and serve our users, TaxJar may sometimes conduct research on its customer demographics, interests and behavior based on the Personal Information and other information provided to us. This research may be compiled and analyzed on an aggregate basis, and TaxJar may share this aggregate data with its affiliates, agents and business partners. This aggregate information does not identify you personally. TaxJar may also disclose aggregated user statistics in order to describe our services to current and prospective business partners, and to other third parties for other lawful purposes.
Certain regional, national, and state laws confer rights relating to personal data. If you would like to submit a request about your personal data, please complete the form below.
We will use the information you provide to us solely to respond to and carry out your request. You will receive an email confirmation of your request at the email address you provide below. We may request additional information from you so that we may verify your identity and process your request.