Watch the video
Learn the fundamentals of sales tax
Before you collect sales tax, you must register for a sales tax permit with the state.
When to register for a sales tax permit
In the US, business must register for a sales tax permit when they have met nexus thresholds in a state. These thresholds vary by state, so sellers should be aware of the sales tax laws in the states where they make sales to stay compliant. In general, having a physical presence in a state will create nexus.
When to register for a sales tax license:
- When your business is based in a state
- When your business has physical presence in a state
- When your business has met economic nexus thresholds in a state
- When you sell on a marketplace and have nexus in a state that does not have a marketplace facilitator law
Read more about when to register for a sales tax permit here.
How to register for a sales tax permit
In general, these are the steps to register with a state to collect sales tax:
- Gather vital info like your EIN and other business identifying information
- Visit your State’s Department of Revenue website
- Search or click on the “Sales and Use Tax” section of the website
- Click the link to register your business
Every state and every website is slightly different, so we’ve listed every state below with a step-by-step guide. Find the state in the list below in which you need to register for a sales tax permit and click on it for more info.
We’ll provide directions on registering for a sales tax permit in each state on your own. If you’d like to streamline your compliance, TaxJar can handle the registration process for you. Visit our registration page to request our team of experts manage your sales tax registration on your behalf.
If you’re tired of handling sales tax collection, reporting and filing on your own, give TaxJar a try.
(Don’t see your state at all? Then you’re in luck and live in a state with no state sales tax!)