Watch the video
Learn the fundamentals of sales tax
How to Register for a Sales Tax Permit in Washington DC
byJuly 13, 2015
Last updated July 17, 2017
1. Who needs a sales tax permit in Washington DC?
According to the DC Office of Tax and Revenue anybody doing business in DC should register for a sales tax permit. This includes:
- having an office, place of distribution, sales or sample room or place, warehouse or storage place, or other place of business
- having a representative, agent, salesman, canvasser, or solicitor for the purpose of making sales at retail, or the taking of orders for such sales
2. How do you register for a sales tax permit in Washington DC?
You can register online at My Tax DC.
3. What information do you need to register for a sales tax permit in Washington DC?
- Your Federal Employer Identification Number and/or Social Security Number and the info for anyone authorized on your account
- Your legal form of business (e.g. partnership, corporation, sole proprietor)
- Your business address
- The names, titles, home address, and Social Security number of the proprietor, partners, or principal officers (mandatory)
- The former Entity Information if previously registered with the District
- The addresses for all locations where you will collect sales tax in the District of Columbia
4. How much does it cost to apply for a sales tax permit in Washington DC?
It’s free to apply for a sales tax permit, but other business registration fees may apply. According to the DC Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs, sole proprietors, general partnerships and unincorporated entities are not required to be registered with DCRA’s Superintendent of Corporations Office.
5. How long does it take to receive your Washington DC sales tax permit?
Washington doesn’t explicitly state how long it will take, but most states take within 8-10 business days to process and issue sales tax permits.
6. Do you have to renew your Washington DC sales tax permit?
No, the District of Columbia doesn’t require you to renew your sales tax permit.
7. How can I learn more about Washington DC sales tax?
- Read our Washington DC Guide for Businesses
- Find the best contact number to call the Washington DC Department of Revenue
- Got questions? Ask our vetted list of sales tax experts
Would you prefer a tax professional handle your sales tax registration?
Fill out our State Registrations form and we’ll put you in touch with a vetted sales tax pro.
The basics of US sales tax
Learn the fundamentals of sales tax.Watch the video