Watch the webinar
Learn more about automation
How to Register for a Sales Tax Permit in Hawaii
July 25, 2017
Last updated January 12, 2018
These instructions will help you secure a Hawaii sales tax license. But first, it’s important to note that Hawaii doesn’t have what we think of as traditional U.S. sales tax. They have a general excise tax (GET). So in this case, you’ll be registering for your Hawaii GET permit. For more information about sales tax in Hawaii check out our Hawaii Sales Tax Guide for Businesses.
1. Who needs a sales tax permit in Hawaii?
Most sellers with any kind of presence in Hawaii, including providing services, will likely be subject to the general excise tax (GET). Hawaii defines doing business in their General Excise Tax law, chapter 237-2 (Starts on p. 4 of this link).
2. How do you register for a sales tax permit in Hawaii?
To register online, visit the Hawaii Tax Online website.
You can also apply in person at any Hawaii Department of Taxation District Offices.
3. What information do you need to register for a sales tax permit in Hawaii?
- Personal identification info (SSN, address, etc.)
- Business identification info (EIN, address, etc.)
- Corporate entity type (S-Corp, sole-prop, etc.)
- Your accounting period (calendar or fiscal year)
- Your accounting method (cash or accrual)
- Other miscellaneous info depending on your business
4. How much does it cost to apply for a sales tax permit in Hawaii?
It costs $20 to apply for a Hawaii GET permit. Other Hawaii business registration fees may apply, depending on your business.
5. How long does it take to receive your Hawaii sales tax permit?
If you register for your Hawaii GET permit online, you can expect to receive your permit number in 3-5 days. If you mail your application or apply by walk-in, you can expect to receive it within 10-15 working days.
6. Do you have to renew your Hawaii sales tax permit?
No, it is not necessary to renew your Hawaii general excise tax permit periodically.
7. How can I learn more about Hawaii sales tax?
- Read our Hawaii Sales Tax Guide for Businesses
- Find the best contact number to call the Hawaii Department of Revenue
- Got questions? Ask our vetted list of sales tax experts
Filing a Hawaii sales tax return is painful. TaxJar makes it easy. Try your 30-day free trial of TaxJar today!
Would you prefer a tax professional handle your sales tax registration?
Fill out our State Registrations form and we’ll put you in touch with a vetted sales tax pro.
Ready to automate sales tax? To learn more about TaxJar and get started, visit TaxJar.com/how-it-works.