Sales Tax Fundamentals
Get up to speed on the basics of sales tax
How to Register for a Sales Tax Permit in Maine
byAugust 3, 2015
Last updated July 17, 2017
These instructions will help you secure a Maine sales tax license. For more information about sales tax in Maine check out our Maine Sales Tax Guide for Businesses.
1. Who needs a sales tax permit in Maine?
2. How do you register for a sales tax permit in Maine?
You can register online at Maine Revenue Services.
3. What information do you need to register for a sales tax permit in Maine?
- Personal identification info (SSN, address, etc.)
- Business identification info (EIN, address, etc.)
- Business entity type
- Description of what your business sells
4. How much does it cost to apply for a sales tax permit in Maine?
It’s free to apply for a Maine sales tax license, but other business registration fees may apply.
5. How long does it take to receive your Maine sales tax permit?
You should receive your sales tax number within in 1-2 days, and your Maine sales tax permit within 20 business days.
6. Do you have to renew your Maine sales tax permit?
No, you do not need to renew your Maine sales tax permit. Always notify Maine Revenue Services if your business name, location, entity type or other vital information changes.
7. How can I learn more about Maine sales tax?
- Read our Maine Sales Tax Guide for Businesses
- Find the best contact number to call the Maine Department of Revenue
- Got questions? Ask our vetted list of sales tax experts
Would you prefer a tax professional handle your sales tax registration?
Fill out our State Registrations form and we’ll put you in touch with a vetted sales tax pro.
Ready to automate sales tax? To learn more about TaxJar and get started, visit https://www.taxjar.com/product.