Watch the video
Learn the fundamentals of sales tax
How to Register for a Sales Tax Permit in Minnesota
byJuly 7, 2015
Last updated July 17, 2017
For more information about sales tax collection check out our Minnesota Sales Tax Guide for Business.
1. Who needs a sales tax permit in Minnesota?
According to Minnesota’s Sales and Use Tax Instruction Booklet, you should register for a sales tax permit in Minnesota if you:
- have an office, distribution, sales, or sample room location, warehouse or other place of business in Minnesota, either directly or by a subsidiary
- have a representative, agent, salesperson, canvasser, or solicitor in Minnesota, on either a permanent or temporary basis, who operates under the authority of the retailer or its subsidiary for any purpose, such as repairing, selling, delivering, installing, soliciting orders for the retailer’s goods or services, or leasing tangible items in Minnesota
- deliver items into Minnesota in their own vehicles
- provide taxable services in Minnesota
- have entered into an agreement with a solicitor for the referral of Minnesota customers for a commission and your gross receipts over 12 months is at least $10,000
2. How do you register for a sales tax permit in Minnesota?
You may register for a Minnesota tax ID number online at Minnesota e-Services.
You may register with a paper form here.
You may register by telephone by calling 651-282-5225 or 1-800-657- 3605.
Click here for instructions on applying for a sales tax permit in Minnesota.
3. What information do you need to register for a sales tax permit in Minnesota?
- Your Federal employer ID number (FEIN), if applicable
- Your legal name or sole-proprietor name and business address
- Your business name (DBA), if applicable
- Your North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) code.
- The names and Social Security numbers of the sole-proprietor, officers, partners or representatives
- The email address and name of a contact person
4. How much does it cost to apply for a sales tax permit in Minnesota?
It’s free to apply for a sales tax permit in Minnesota. Other business registration fees may apply.
5. How long does it take to receive your Minnesota sales tax permit?
Minnesota doesn’t specify how soon you’ll receive your confirmation and sales tax registration number, but most states will get you the information within 10 business days.
6. Do you have to renew your Minnesota sales tax permit?
You do not need to renew your sales tax permit in Minnesota. But if you change your business name, location or other identifying details you should alert the Minnesota Department of Revenue.
7. How can I learn more about Minnesota sales tax?
- Read our Minnesota Sales Tax Guide for Businesses
- Find the best contact number to call the Minnesota Department of Revenue
Would you prefer a tax professional handle your sales tax registration?
Here’s a list of vetted sales tax pros.
Want to leave sales tax to the experts? To learn more about TaxJar and get started, visit TaxJar.com/how-it-works.
The basics of US sales tax
Learn the fundamentals of sales tax.Watch the video