Watch the webinar
How to Automate Sales Tax Compliance
How to Register for a Sales Tax Permit in Missouri
byAugust 5, 2015
Last updated July 17, 2017
These instructions will help you secure a Missouri sales tax license. For more information about sales tax in Missouri check out our Missouri Sales Tax Guide for Businesses.
1. Who needs a sales tax permit in Missouri?
Sellers of tangible personal property with sales tax nexus in Missouri need to register for a sales tax permit. Find out more about what activities create nexus in Missouri.
2. How do you register for a sales tax permit in Missouri?
You can register online at the Missouri Department of Revenue or fill out the Missouri Tax Registration Application (Form 2643) and submit it (along with your bond, see below) to:
Missouri Department of Revenue
P.O. Box 357
Jefferson City, MO 65105-0357
3. What information do you need to register for a sales tax permit in Missouri?
- Personal identification info (SSN, address, etc.)
- Business identification info (EIN, address, etc.)
- Estimated monthly sales to buyers in Missouri
- Business entity
4. How much does it cost to apply for a sales tax permit in Missouri?
A business making retail sales must post a bond equal to three times the average monthly sales and use tax. Use this calculator to determine your Missouri bond amount. (You can request to have this bond refunded after two years of good payment history.)
Other business registration fees may apply.
5. How long does it take to receive your Missouri sales tax permit?
Allow 5-8 days to receive your Missouri sales tax license number.
6. Do you have to renew your Missouri sales tax permit?
7. How can I learn more about Missouri sales tax?
- Read our Missouri Sales Tax Guide for Businesses
- Find the best contact number to call the Missouri Department of Revenue
- Got questions? Ask our vetted list of sales tax experts
Would you prefer a tax professional handle your sales tax registration?
Fill out our State Registrations form and we’ll put you in touch with a vetted sales tax pro.
Ready to automate sales tax? To learn more about TaxJar and get started, visit https://www.taxjar.com/product.
Set your business up for compliance in 2022
Learn 6 key steps to attain sales tax compliance now -- and in the future -- with this 2022 Sales Tax Preparedness Guide.Download the 2022 guide