Watch the webinar
How to Automate Sales Tax Compliance
How to Register for a Sales Tax Permit in Rhode Island
byJuly 30, 2015
Last updated July 17, 2017
These instructions will help you secure a Rhode Island sales tax license. For more information about sales tax in Rhode Island check out our Rhode Island Sales Tax Guide for Businesses.
1. Who needs a sales tax permit in Rhode Island?
Retailers of tangible personal property need to register for a sales tax permit in Rhode Island. According to the RI Division of Taxation, you are required to register before you start your business and there is no minimum amount of sales you must make before registering.
2. How do you register for a sales tax permit in Rhode Island?
3. What information do you need to register for a sales tax permit in Rhode Island?
- Personal identification info (SSN, address, etc.)
- Business identification info (EIN, address, etc.)
- Business entity type
- Date began doing business in Rhode Island
- Description of business activity
4. How much does it cost to apply for a sales tax permit in Rhode Island?
It costs $10 to obtain a Rhode Island sales tax permit. Other business registration fees may apply.
5. How long does it take to receive your Rhode Island sales tax permit?
Rhode Island’s Division of Taxation doesn’t explicitly state how long it will take to receive your permit after you apply, but many guidelines state you should try to apply at least one month in advance of the date you’ll start doing business in the state.
6. Do you have to renew your Rhode Island sales tax permit?
You must renew your Rhode Island sales tax permit annually. This costs $10. You can renew online at Rhode Island Business Tax Filings.
7. How can I learn more about Rhode Island sales tax?
- Read our Rhode Island Sales Tax Guide for Businesses
- Find the best contact number to call the Rhode Island Department of Revenue
- Got questions? Ask our vetted list of sales tax experts
Would you prefer a tax professional handle your sales tax registration?
Fill out our State Registrations form and we’ll put you in touch with a vetted sales tax pro.
Ready to automate sales tax? To learn more about TaxJar and get started, visit https://www.taxjar.com/product.
Set your business up for compliance in 2022
Learn 6 key steps to attain sales tax compliance now -- and in the future -- with this 2022 Sales Tax Preparedness Guide.Download the 2022 guide