Watch the webinar
How to Automate Sales Tax Compliance
How to Register for a Sales Tax Permit in Mississippi
byMarch 11, 2015
Last updated July 17, 2017
This guide will walk you through registering for a sales tax permit in Mississippi.
1. Who needs a sales tax permit in Mississippi?
Sellers who sell tangible personal property in Mississippi and have sales tax nexus in the state are required to register for a Mississippi sales tax permit.
2. How do you register for a sales tax permit in Mississippi?
Business owners can register online at Mississippi’s “TAP” website. Mississippi encourages online sellers to register and file sales tax online.
3. What information do you need to register or a sales tax permit in Mississippi?
- All businesses will need business name and mailing address
- Sole-proprietors need their Social security number or ITIN
- Corporations/partnerships/LLCs need their Secretary of state business ID, if applicable and their FEIN
4. How much does it cost to apply for a sales tax permit in Mississippi?
Applying for a sales tax permit in Mississippi is free, though other business registration fees may apply. Contact each state’s individual department of revenue for more about their requirements for registering your business.
5. How long does it take to receive your Mississippi sales tax permit?
You should receive your permit in the mail within 2 weeks of application.
6. Do you have to renew your Mississippi sales tax permit?
Sellers are not required to renew their Mississippi sales tax permit, but you should update it with any address change, ownership change, additional tax responsibilities, or a new location.
7. How can I learn more about Mississippi sales tax?
- Read our Mississippi Sales Tax Guide for Businesses
- Find the best contact number to call the Mississippi Department of Revenue
- Got questions? Ask our vetted list of sales tax experts
Would you prefer a tax professional handle your sales tax registration?
Fill out our State Registrations form and we’ll put you in touch with a vetted sales tax pro.
Meanwhile, to learn more about TaxJar and get started, visit https://www.taxjar.com/product.