Watch the webinar
How to Automate Sales Tax Compliance
How to Register for a Sales Tax Permit in West Virginia
byMarch 16, 2016
Last updated July 17, 2017
These instructions will help you obtain an West Virginia sales tax license. For more information about sales tax in West Virginia check out our West Virginia Sales Tax Guide for Businesses.
1. Who needs a sales tax permit in West Virginia?
Retailers doing business in West Virginia need a sales tax permit. You can find out what conditions create sales tax nexus in West Virginia here.
2. How do you register for a sales tax permit in West Virginia?
3. What information do you need to register for a sales tax permit in West Virginia?
- Personal identification info (SSN, address, etc.)
- Business identification info (EIN, address, etc.) – Always use your home business or business address, even if you are located outside West Virginia
- NAICS code
- Date you began doing business in West Virginia (Not sure what to enter here? Read more about “When to Register for a Sales Tax Permit“)
4. How much does it cost to apply for a sales tax permit in West Virginia?
It’s free to apply for a sales tax permit, but other West Virginia business registration fees may apply. Some businesses based in West Virginia may be required to pay a $30 business registration fee. You can find out more about that here.
5. How long does it take to receive your West Virginia sales tax permit?
West Virginia doesn’t specify how long it takes to receive your sales tax permit, but for most states it’s within 2-3 weeks at most.
6. Do you have to renew your West Virginia sales tax permit?
You do not need to renew your West Virginia sales tax permit.
7. How can I learn more about West Virginia sales tax?
- Read our West Virginia Guide for Businesses
- Find the best contact number to call the West Virginia Department of Revenue
- Got questions? Ask our vetted list of sales tax experts
Would you prefer a tax professional to handle your sales tax registration?
Fill out our State Registrations form and we’ll put you in touch with a vetted sales tax pro.
Set your business up for compliance in 2022
Learn 6 key steps to attain sales tax compliance now -- and in the future -- with this 2022 Sales Tax Preparedness Guide.Download the 2022 guide