How to Register for a Sales Tax Permit in Alaska
byMarch 26, 2020
For more information about collecting and remitting sales tax in Alaska, check out our Alaska Sales Tax Guide for Businesses.
1. Who needs a sales tax permit in Alaska?
Unlike most US states, Alaska does not have a statewide sales tax. They do, however, allow some local jurisdictions to levy a sales tax. And Alaska recently adopted a law that requires certain remote (out of state) sellers to collect sales tax in the state if their sales exceed certain thresholds.
Businesses who make $100,000 or more in sales to the state, or that make 200 or more sales transactions into the state in the current or previous calendar year are considered to have economic nexus, and so are required to collect Alaska sales tax from buyers in participating jurisdictions and periodically remit that sales tax to the state.
Here is a current list of participating Alaska jurisdictions. Once a jurisdiction has opted in to remote sales tax collection, qualifying remote sellers have 30 days to begin collecting sales tax from buyers in that jurisdiction.
2. How do you register for a sales tax permit in Alaska?
Businesses with physical locations in Alaska should consult with the Alaska Department of Revenue – Tax Division.
Remote sellers who exceed the Alaska economic nexus threshold can register online at the Alaska Remote Sellers Sales Tax Commission (ARSSTC) portal.
Remote sellers do not have to register with individual jurisdictions. Registering at the ARSSTC portal will cover all jurisdictions.
3. What information do you need to register for a sales tax permit in Alaska?
Identifying information about your business including:
- Business name
- Phone Number and
- Employer Identification Number (EIN)
4. How much does it cost to apply for a sales tax permit in Alaska?
There is no cost to apply for a sales tax permit through the ARRSTC portal.
5. Do you have to renew your Alaska sales tax permit?
6. How long does it take to receive your Alaska sales tax permit?
You will receive your permit immediately.
7. How can I learn more about Alaska sales tax?
- Read our Alaska Sales Tax Guide for Businesses
- Contact the Alaska Remote Seller Sales Tax Commission
- Got questions? Ask our vetted list of sales tax experts
Would you prefer a tax professional handle your sales tax registration?
Fill out our State Registrations form and we’ll put you in touch with a vetted sales tax pro.
2023 Sales Tax Preparedness Guide
Discover sales tax trends and changes that could impact your compliance in 2023. You’ll also find helpful information on product taxability, and how to manage hitting economic nexus thresholds in new states this shopping season.Read now