Watch the webinar
How to Automate Sales Tax Compliance
How to Register for a Sales Tax Permit in Kansas
byMay 26, 2014
Last updated July 14, 2017
For more information about collecting and remitting sales tax in Kansas, check out Kansas Sales Tax Resources.
1. Who needs a sales tax permit in Kansas?
If you sell goods, admissions, or provide taxable services you must be registered with the Kansas Department of Revenue to collect sales tax.
Kansas Department of Revenue
915 SW Harrison St.
Topeka, KS 66612-1588
Check out this handy publication for instructions on registering your business in Kansas.
Note: Kansas asks that you file for your sales tax license 3-4 weeks before you plan to start actually making sales in the state.
3. What information do you need to register for a sales tax permit in Kansas?
- Reason for application
- Tax type
- Business info including name, address, phone, parent company, subsidiaries
- Location information
- Annual Kansas sales estimation
- Other questions about the nature of your business (if you’re connected to construction, natural gas, etc.)
4. How much does it cost to apply for a sales tax permit in Kansas?
There is no fee for the sales tax permit in Kansas. Other business registration fees may apply. Contact each state’s individual department of revenue for more about registering your business.
5. How long does it take to receive your Kansas sales tax permit?
Allow 3-4 weeks for delivery of your permit.
6. Do you have to renew your Kansas sales tax permit?
Kansas does not require a renewal for sales tax permits.
7. How can I learn more about Kansas sales tax?
- Read our Kansas Sales Tax Guide for Businesses
- Find the best contact number to call the Kansas Department of Revenue
- Got questions? Ask our vetted list of sales tax experts
Would you prefer a tax professional handle your sales tax registration?
Fill out our State Registrations form and we’ll put you in touch with a vetted sales tax pro.
Ready to automate sales tax? To learn more about TaxJar and get started, visit TaxJar.com/how-it-works.