Watch the video
Learn the fundamentals of sales tax
How to Register for a Sales Tax Permit in Massachusetts
byMarch 10, 2015
Last updated July 17, 2017
This guide will walk you through registering for a sales tax permit in Massachusetts.
1. Who needs a sales tax permit in Massachusetts?
Anyone who sells, leases, or rents tangible personal property, has a business location in Massachusetts or who acquires parts to manufacture goods for sale in Massachusetts needs to register for a sales tax permit. Here’s more info about sales tax from the Massachusetts Department of Revenue.
2. How do you register for a sales tax permit in Massachusetts?
Businesses can register online at Massachusetts’ MassTax Connect.
3. What information do you need to register or a sales tax permit in Massachusetts?
- Identifying information about your business
- Type of business
- Owners and officers
- Description of business activities
4. How much does it cost to apply for a sales tax permit in Massachusetts?
There is no charge to register for a sales tax permit in Massachusetts. Other business registration fees may apply. Contact each state’s individual department of revenue for more about their requirements for registering your business.
5. How long does it take to receive your Massachusetts sales tax permit?
Businesses that use the MassTax Connect, will receive a temporary permit. The final permit will be received within 7-10 business days.
6. Do you have to renew your Massachusetts sales tax permit?
Sellers are not required to renew their Massachusetts sales tax permit, but you should update it with any address change, ownership change, additional tax responsibilities, or a new location.
7. How can I learn more about Massachusetts sales tax?
- Read our Massachusetts Sales Tax Guide for Businesses
- Find the best contact number to call the Massachusetts Department of Revenue
For more information about collecting and remitting sales tax in Massachusetts, check out Massachusetts Sales Tax Information.
Would you prefer a tax professional handle your sales tax registration?
Here’s a list of vetted sales tax pros.
Want to leave sales tax to the experts? Let TaxJar automate your sales tax so you can get back to running your business!
The basics of US sales tax
Learn the fundamentals of sales tax.Watch the video