Watch the video
Learn the fundamentals of sales tax
How to Register for a Sales Tax Permit in Vermont
byDecember 11, 2015
Last updated December 2020.
These instructions will help you secure a Vermont sales tax license. For more information about sales tax in Vermont check out our Vermont Sales Tax Guide for Businesses.
1. Who needs a sales tax permit in Vermont?
Also, from the Vermont Department of Taxes website:
Examples of types of businesses required to register for an account are:
- Sellers of tangible personal property at retail
- Transient vendors coming into Vermont for short periods of time
- Vendors with no permanent Vermont address
- Nonprofit organizations, even if applying for exemption
- Manufacturers that sell tangible personal property at wholesale
2. How do you register for a sales tax permit in Vermont?
If you are located in Vermont, you should first register for a business tax account at the Vermont Department of Taxes. From there, you can register for your sales tax account.
If you are not based in Vermont but have economic nexus in Vermont, we recommend contacting the Vermont Department of Taxes before registering. You can find their most update to date phone number here. Here’s more information on economic nexus laws in Vermont.
Though Vermont strongly encourages merchants to register online, you can also use form BR-400 to register by mail or fax (802-828-5787).
3. What information do you need to register for a sales tax permit in Vermont?
- Personal identification info (SSN, address, etc.)
- Business identification info (EIN, address, etc.)
- NAICS Code
4. How much does it cost to apply for a sales tax permit in Vermont?
It’s free to apply for a Vermont sales tax permit, but other Vermont business registration fees may apply.
5. How long does it take to receive your Vermont sales tax permit?
While Vermont doesn’t stipulate exactly how long it will take to receive your permit, most states get you your number instantly or within a couple week when you apply online and within 4-6 weeks if you apply in another manner.
6. Do you have to renew your Vermont sales tax permit?
Vermont does not require you to renew your sales tax permit.
7. How can I learn more about Vermont sales tax?
- Read our Vermont Guide for Businesses
- Find the best contact number to call the Vermont Department of Revenue
- Got questions? Ask our vetted list of sales tax experts
Would you prefer a tax professional to handle your sales tax registration?
Fill out our State Registrations form and we’ll put you in touch with a vetted sales tax pro.
The basics of US sales tax
Learn the fundamentals of sales tax.Watch the video