Watch the video
Learn the fundamentals of sales tax
How to Register for a Sales Tax Permit in Wisconsin
bySeptember 12, 2014
Last updated August 10, 2017
For more information about collecting and remitting sales tax in Wisconsin, check out Wisconsin Sales Tax Guide for Businesses from TaxJar.
1. Who needs a sales tax permit in Wisconsin?
From the website:
A seller’s permit is required for every individual, partnership, corporation, or other organization making retail sales, leases, or rentals of tangible personal property or taxable services in Wisconsin, unless all sales are exempt from sales or use tax.
NOTE: A seller’s permit will not be issued to wholesalers, manufacturers and other businesses not making direct retail sales of tangible property or taxable services.
2. How do you register for a sales tax permit in Wisconsin?
To register for a sales tax permit in Wisconsin, you have two options. The best option is to do it online at the Wisconsin Business Tax Registration website.
Your other option is to fill out the BTR-101, the Application for Wisconsin Business Tax Registration. After you do, send it to:
Wisconsin Department of Revenue
PO Box 8902
Madison, WI 53708-8902
FAX: (608) 264-6884
3. What information do you need to register for a sales tax permit in Wisconsin?
- Reason for your application
- Basic business information
- Your business type (sole proprietorship, corporation, etc.)
- The type of business you run (dry cleaner, limousine, food and beverage, etc.)
- The start date you’ll begin collecting sales tax
- Other business owners
4. How much does it cost to apply for a sales tax permit in Wisconsin?
It costs $20 to register, but only your first time applying. Other business registration fees may apply. Contact each state’s individual department of revenue for more about registering your business.
5. How long does it take to receive your Wisconsin sales tax permit?
It takes two business days for an online filing, but you should allow up to 15 business days when filing a paper application.
6. Do you have to renew your Wisconsin sales tax permit?
Wisconsin does not require you to renew your sales tax permit.
7. How can I learn more about Wisconsin sales tax?
- Read our Wisconsin Guide for Businesses
- Find the best contact number to call the Wisconsin Department of Revenue
- Got questions? Ask our vetted list of sales tax experts
Would you prefer a tax professional handle your sales tax registration?
Fill out our State Registrations form and we’ll put you in touch with a vetted sales tax pro.
You can also visit WisconsinSellersPermits.com.
The basics of US sales tax
Learn the fundamentals of sales tax.Watch the video