Watch the webinar
How to Automate Sales Tax Compliance
How to Register for a Sales Tax Permit in Iowa
byAugust 4, 2015
Last updated July 14, 2017
These instructions will help you secure a Iowa sales tax license. For more information about sales tax in Iowa check out our Iowa Sales Tax Guide for Businesses.
1. Who needs a sales tax permit in Iowa?
Retailers of tangible personal property with sales tax nexus in Iowa should register for an Iowa sales tax permit. Find out more here about what constitutes sales tax nexus in Iowa. If you are an out-of-state seller with sales tax nexus in Iowa you’ll apply for “Iowa retailer’s use tax.”
2. How do you register for a sales tax permit in Iowa?
Iowa Department of Revenue
PO Box 10470
Des Moines, IA 50306-0470
Fax #: 515-281-3906
ATTN: Registration Services.
3. What information do you need to register for a sales tax permit in Iowa?
- Personal identification info (SSN, address, etc.)
- Business identification info (EIN, address, etc.)
- Business entity type (sole-proprietor, corporation, LLC, etc.)
- Date you started sell in Iowa
- Types of products or services sold
4. How much does it cost to apply for a sales tax permit in Iowa?
It’s free to apply for a sales tax permit, but other business registration fees may apply.
5. How long does it take to receive your Iowa sales tax permit?
You will receive your Iowa sales tax license in the main within 4-6 weeks.
6. Do you have to renew your Iowa sales tax permit?
7. How can I learn more about Iowa sales tax?
- Read our Iowa Sales Tax Guide for Businesses
- Find the best contact number to call the Iowa Department of Revenue
- Got questions? Ask our vetted list of sales tax experts