Sales Tax Fundamentals
Get up to speed on the basics of sales tax
How to Register for a Sales Tax Permit in Texas
byJune 2, 2014
Last updated June 12, 2018
For more information about collecting and remitting sales tax in Texas, check out Texas Sales Tax Resources.
1. Who needs a sales tax permit in Texas?
Online sellers who:
• are an individual, partnership, corporation or organization engaged in business in Texas; AND
• are selling tangible personal property or providing taxable services in Texas to customers in Texas; AND/OR
• acquire tangible personal property or taxable services from out-of-state suppliers that do not hold a Texas permit;
2. How do you register for a sales tax permit in Texas?
You can also download a paper Texas sales tax permit application (form AP-201) and mail it to:
Comptroller of Public Accounts
111 E. 17th St.
Austin, TX 78774-0100
3. What information do you need to register for a sales tax permit in Texas?
- Sole owner’s social security number.
- Partnership social security numbers or federal employer’s identification numbers for each partner.
- Texas corporation’s file number from the Texas Secretary of State.
- All corporations’ social security numbers for each officer or director.
- North American Industrial Classification System (NAICS) code required for all businesses.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age. Parents/legal guardians may apply for a permit on behalf of a minor.
- Adobe Reader
- A printer (to print Signature Form)
4. How much does it cost to apply for a sales tax permit in Texas?
It’s free to apply for a Texas sales tax permit. A bond may be required but only after the application is filed and reviewed. Other business registration fees may apply. Contact each state’s individual department of revenue for more about registering your business.
5. How long does it take to receive your Texas sales tax permit?
According to the Texas Comptroller of Public accounts website, it takes 2-4 weeks to receive your permit once they have received your signed application. Did it take longer? (Or shorter?) Let us know in the comments.
6. Do you have to renew your Texas sales tax permit?
No, you do not have to renew your Texas sales tax permit.
7. What else do I need to know about registering for a sales tax permit in Texas?
- If you are anything other than a sole-proprietor, Texas will also ask you to file a Texas Franchise Tax form each year. If you make less than $1,080,000 in sales in Texas per year you can file a “zero return” for this form. Read more about Texas Franchise Tax here.
- Annoyingly, the state of Texas is required by law to list your phone number as a matter of public record when you register. This means it can ends up in the hands of telemarketers. To prevent this, you may want to take the extra step of contacting the Texas Comptroller (here’s their best phone number) and request that all phone numbers be removed from your public information.
8. How can I learn more about Texas sales tax?
- Read our Texas Sales Tax Guide for Businesses
- Find the best contact number to call the Texas Department of Revenue
- Got questions? Ask our vetted list of sales tax experts
Find out more about collecting and remitting sales tax at TaxJar.
Would you prefer another tax professional handle your sales tax registration?
Fill out our State Registrations form and we’ll put you in touch with a vetted sales tax pro.
After you’re registered, let TaxJar take care of the rest! Get started collecting and remitting sales tax with TaxJar today!