Economic Nexus: The Ultimate Guide
Economic Nexus Law by State: Illinois
byJune 21, 2018
State laws on economic nexus vary and it’s hard to keep up if you’re doing business in multiple states. We’ve done the research for you and here’s all the information you need to know about economic nexus in Illinois.
What is economic nexus in Illinois?
With the recent South Dakota v. Wayfair Supreme Court ruling in favor of South Dakota, states are now free to pursue sales tax from eCommerce businesses who have a ‘significant presence’ in their state.
Significant presence or “nexus” was previously defined as having a physical presence (ex: a brick & mortar store, employee or inventory in a fulfillment center like FBA). But with this recent ruling, this definition has been expanded to include economic activity in a state as well. This concept of triggering sales tax responsibility because of your economic activity in a state is now referred to as economic nexus.
Most importantly, what this means is that if you pass a state’s economic threshold for total revenue in that state and/or number of transactions in that state, you’re now legally required to register, collect and remit sales tax for that state.
What’s the threshold for economic nexus law in Illinois?
- State: Illinois
- Threshold:$100,000/year in gross revenue, or makes sales into Illinois in more than 200 separate transactions in the previous twelve months
- Summary: According to the state, sellers that meet either the sales or transaction number thresholds are required to register for a Illinois sales tax permit, collect sales tax on sales that ship into Illinois, and remit sales tax to the state.
- Full text: You can read the text of Illinois economic nexus law here.
When did this Illinois law go into effect or is it planned?
This law went into effect on October 1, 2018.
I meet the economic threshold requirement in Illinois. Now what?
Here’s a quick checklist of what to do next:
- Register for a sales tax permit in Illinois (info below)
- Choose a technology like TaxJar to help you manage multi-state compliance. Sign up for a free 30-day trial to see how we can help you save time!
- Connect TaxJar once to all of the places you sell
- Ensure all your eCommerce channels are setup correctly to collect sales tax
- Enroll in AutoFile and tell us how often you need to file
- Relax, you now handled your sales tax exposure. We’ll handle the rest for you.
Can you help me register for a sales tax permit?
Certainly! TaxJar offers these two options:
- Read our do it yourself instructions for every state
- Visit TaxJar.com/register to have one of our expert partners do it for you (~$100 each state not including state’s fees)
Who can handle my Illinois sales tax filings for me?
At TaxJar, we help more than 10,000 sellers manage their sales tax needs every month. We help your business save on submitting your returns with our automated filing service called AutoFile. Read more about how AutoFile can handle all of your returns in as many states as you’d like.
I’ve met this threshold in Illinois, now where can I ask questions?
Above all, we recommend speaking with a vetted sales tax expert to answer specific questions for your business.
And finally…I’m close to meeting this threshold for Illinois. Will TaxJar notify me when I reach it?
Yes! With TaxJar’s Economic Nexus Insights Dashboard, you can see where your business currently has nexus, where your business is approaching nexus, and recommended next steps on how to begin complying with sales tax in all states.
Proactive notifications let you know when you’re approaching or have reached thresholds, so you can stay in front of any changes to your nexus requirements.
Understand economic nexus with this guide
Knowing where you have nexus and need to collect sales tax is complicated. This guide will walk you through how to determine if you have nexus, and what to do when you reach the threshold.Download the guide