Watch the video
Learn the fundamentals of sales tax
Economic Nexus Laws by State: Michigan
byAugust 15, 2018
State laws on economic nexus vary and it’s hard to keep up if you’re doing business in multiple states. We’ve done the research for you and here’s all the information you need to know about economic nexus in Michigan.
What is economic nexus in Michigan?
With the recent South Dakota v. Wayfair Supreme Court ruling in favor of South Dakota, states are now free to pursue sales tax from eCommerce businesses who have a “significant presence” in their state.
Significant presence or “nexus” was previously defined as having a physical presence (ex: brick & mortar store, employee or inventory in a fulfillment center like FBA). But with this recent ruling, now this definition has been expanded to include economic activity in a state as well. This concept of triggering sales tax responsibility because of your economic activity in a state is now referred to as economic nexus.
Most importantly, what this means is that if you pass a state’s economic threshold for total revenue in that state and/or number of transactions in that state, you’re now legally required to register, collect and remit sales tax for that state.
What’s the threshold for economic nexus law in Michigan?
- State: Michigan
- Threshold: $100,000/year in gross revenue, or makes sales into Michigan in more than 200 separate transactions in the last calendar year.
- Summary: According to the state, sellers that meet either the sales or transaction number thresholds are required to register for a Michigan sales tax permit, collect sales tax on sales that ship into Michigan, and remit sales tax to the state.
- Full text: You can read the text of Michigan economic nexus law here.
When did this Michigan law go into effect or is it planned?
This law will go into effect 10/1/2018.
I meet the economic threshold requirement in Michigan. Now what?
Here’s a quick checklist of what to do next:
- Register for a sales tax permit in Michigan (info below)
- Choose a technology like TaxJar to help you manage multi-state compliance. Sign up for a free 30-day trial to see how we can help you save time!
- Connect TaxJar once to all of the places you sell
- Ensure all your eCommerce channels are setup correctly to collect sales tax
- Enroll in AutoFile and tell us how often you need to file
- Relax, you now handled your sales tax exposure. We’ll handle the rest for you.
Can you help me register for a sales tax permit?
Certainly! TaxJar offers these two options:
- Read our do it yourself instructions for every state
- Visit our registration page to request TaxJar manage your Michigan registration for you
Who can handle my Michigan sales tax filings for me?
At TaxJar, we help more than 10,000 sellers manage their sales tax needs every month. We help your business save on submitting your returns with our automated filing service called AutoFile. Read more about how AutoFile can handle all of your returns in as many states as you’d like.
I’ve met this threshold in Michigan, now where can I ask questions?
We recommend speaking with a vetted sales tax expert to answer specific questions for your business.
And finally…I’m close to meeting this threshold for Michigan. Will TaxJar notify me when I reach it?
Yes! With TaxJar’s Economic Nexus Insights Dashboard, you can see where your business currently has nexus, where your business is approaching nexus, and recommended next steps on how to begin complying with sales tax in all states.
Proactive notifications let you know when you’re approaching or have reached thresholds, so you can stay in front of any changes to your nexus requirements.
The basics of US sales tax
Learn the fundamentals of sales tax.Watch the video